Surf Fishing Fort Morgan - August

Odpowiedz [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
trialdaphne
Kontaktowanie:

Surf Fishing Fort Morgan - August

Post autor: trialdaphne » wt sty 01, 2019 2:12 pm

We will be taking our two boys (9 & 13) down to Fort Morgan the first week of August and will be doing a little surf fishing. With it being so hot, I expect the fishing to be slow, but hope it is not. In the past while surf fishing there, we have used Pompano rigs I have tied myself thanks to the instruction of those on this forum. For bait, we've used live shrimp, cut bait and fresh dead shrimp, all with limited success. I have read about Fish Bites, but never used them. Is there any type of rig / bait / lures and areas that anyone would recommend for hot August surf fishing. I really don't know what to expect to catch this type of year other than catfish, but would love to be able to watch our boys have fun catching fish. We have fished the surf around Morgan Town and also gone down to the Fort and fished off the point and on the bay side after walking down a long concrete wall. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

microscoff
Kontaktowanie:

Re: Surf Fishing Fort Morgan - August

Post autor: microscoff » wt sty 01, 2019 2:13 pm

The pompano rigs with shrimp and/or fishbites will catch fish. Whiting will be in close if you can get thru the catfish. Try some cut mullet on a single drop rig for something bigger like bull reds or sharks.

One evening in August years ago I took a college roommate to the fort. He had never seen the Gulf, let alone fish in it. We started catching white trout (not whiting) on fresh dead shrimp. When we ran out of shrimp we switched to squid. When the squid ran out, we started using the small trout as cut bait. We filled a couple 5 gal. buckets with trout that evening. Good luck!

streambell
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: streambell » wt sty 01, 2019 2:13 pm

[quote=microscoff post_id=837201 time=1546351994 user_id=3221]
The pompano rigs with shrimp and/or fishbites will catch fish. Whiting will be in close if you can get thru the catfish. Try some cut mullet on a single drop rig for something bigger like bull reds or sharks.

One evening in August years ago I took a college roommate to the fort. He had never seen the Gulf, let alone fish in it. We started catching white trout (not whiting) on fresh dead shrimp. When we ran out of shrimp we switched to squid. When the squid ran out, we started using the small trout as cut bait. We filled a couple 5 gal. buckets with trout that evening. Good luck!
[/quote]

They have still been catching quite a few pompano lately. Bluefish and whiting are pretty thick out there. Try slow retrieving a curly tail grub in the troughs for flounder.

trialdaphne
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: trialdaphne » wt sty 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Yes, you can catch them year round. March-May and end of September-November being peak times to catch large quantities. However, you can still land smaller numbers year round but may not be as consistent as peak times. By the time you get here the Spring Frye should be large enough to take home for dinner.

microscoff
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: microscoff » wt sty 01, 2019 2:14 pm

[quote=trialdaphne post_id=837205 time=1546352031 user_id=3231]
Yes, you can catch them year round. March-May and end of September-November being peak times to catch large quantities. However, you can still land smaller numbers year round but may not be as consistent as peak times. By the time you get here the Spring Frye should be large enough to take home for dinner.
[/quote]

Besides a pompano rig, I'd suggest putting out a fresh cut bait with a steel leader. Blue fish are biting right now, and redfish will be coming on. Might pick up a shark, too.

streambell
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: streambell » wt sty 01, 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks for your info, when you say cut bait would you suggest flees or shrimp or both?

Odpowiedz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable