Measure Distance (Perpendicular)

Odpowiedz
trialdaphne
Kontaktowanie:

Measure Distance (Perpendicular)

Post autor: trialdaphne » wt mar 12, 2019 1:49 pm

I have to measure the distance from a line to a point. To do that I always used "Measure Distance" with the option button set to "perpendicular". This always worked fine.

chilielk

Re: Measure Distance (Perpendicular)

Post autor: chilielk » wt mar 12, 2019 1:49 pm

Now in V8i I discovered that this is not enough to set "perpendicular" but I also have to tick "Segment Only" in order for this to work, otherwise the elastic band appears falling from the intended line when the cursor goes beyond its ends, apart that the measured distance is not longer the true perpendicular distance, but anything else.

bogusfishy

Post autor: bogusfishy » wt mar 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Now in V8i I discovered that this is not enough to set "perpendicular" but I also have to tick "Segment Only" in order for this to work, otherwise the elastic band appears falling from the intended line when the cursor goes beyond its ends, apart that the measured distance is not longer the true perpendicular distance, but anything else.

I am not quite sure what it was intended to be achieved with this change, but unfortunately I had measured wrong distances until I discovered this "new feature".

trialdaphne
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: trialdaphne » wt mar 12, 2019 1:51 pm

From my experience, too many options and switches creates the potential for too many errors. This already happened here. I think it wasn't quite necessary to add this thing into XM, but the reality is that is there and I may have to live with it. Anyway, I will write myself a new MDL old fashioned toolbox with the options as they were in SE and V8. The same with the PAN command (one of my previous posts), for which I am already writing a quick MDL program to do that in the old fashioned way (not dragging the cursor, but clicking 2 points on screen). I have a graphic card that doesn't like V8i (in fact my whole system doesn't like V8i), and my Company's IT manager seems reluctant to upgrade. Small quick MDL routines will resolve all of these problems hopefully.

consisticehockey

Post autor: consisticehockey » wt mar 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Let me know if I should bring this up in the XM section, but with functions keys you can usually add to them to check or uncheck options in the command. For example: I use change element extended;set item toolsettings makecopy=0 to not have make copy checked while changing element attributes.

bogusfishy

Post autor: bogusfishy » wt mar 12, 2019 1:52 pm

consisticehockey pisze:
> Let me know if I should bring this up in the XM section, but with functions
> keys you can usually add to them to check or uncheck options in the
> command. For example: I use change element extended;set item toolsettings
> makecopy=0 to not have make copy checked while changing element attributes.

To actually measure the distance you’d need multiple static receivers with known positions to triangulate the physical position of the sources (the tag and your phone) and then calculate the distance, which is how most indoors positioning systems work.

erislove
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: erislove » czw mar 14, 2019 9:18 am

Everything that Arn mentioned above is correct, of course. However on a more personal level I still (at 74) mentally "measure" distance walked on the Camino by distances I walked or biked long ago as a child. Kindergarten was 1 mile from home, high school 2 miles, and grandma's house just over 12 miles. Hence each Camino day I aim "to walk to grandma's".

If you want to know more details please visit here https://check-distance.com

Odpowiedz